top of page


Novelty garden ornaments to help raise awareness towards re-building foraging Australian native bee and beneficial insect habitats which are being destroyed due to deforestation, urbanisation and ongoing poisoning of gardens and weeds.

Native Bee Retro Retreats

For Bees Retro Retreats | Australian Native Bee Habitats

"All natural habitats

built out of re-purposed retro television sets"

Our Bee TV Live project is following the advice of the Native Bee experts current research on the assembly of Australian native insect habitats with single use materials specific to each species of bee.


Our native bees have different types of nesting materials and it is important to ensure micro organisms and pathogens don't spread within the accommodation set up through cross contamination of multiple materials. 

Our aim is to display the various nesting materials in separate divisions within the stage set.

We are working on making these changes, stay tuned.


Australia has over 2,000 species of native bees, 30% of Australia’s native bees are cavity nesting the other 70% nest in the ground.


Social hive bees.  Their hives are built in hollow tree trunks and branches and often found in urban situations such as inside wall cavities and commonly in ground utility service pits. If a hive needs to be rescued beekeepers transfer the nests into small hive boxes and can duplicate by using the eduction or splitting methods.

(Tetragonula and  Austroplebeia) 11 species of social native bees.

Reed Bees nest inside dry pithy twigs in plants such as raspberries and blackberries or in the dead fronds of tree ferns and also commonly in dead canes of the weed Lantana. Two or more adult Reed bees may share a nest and co-operate to share the nest duties.

(Exoneura and Braunsapis) Over 80 Australian species.

Yellow & Black Carpenter Bees cut nest burrows in soft timber such as dead decaying  limbs of trunks and large branches left to decompose.

Xylocopa (Koptortosoma) Six Australian species.

Green Carpenter Bees build nest burrows in the flower stalks of the grass tree (Xanthorrhoea) or in other soft pithy dead timber such as large dead Banksia trunks.

Xylocopa (Lestis) Two Australian species.

Resin Bees nest in pre-existing holes or gaps in timber or stonework. They are called Resin Bees because they collect resins and gums to build partitions between their brood cells and to seal their nest holes.

(Megachile) About 100 Australian species.

Masked Bees nests are usually in pithy stems or pre-existing holes in wood.

(Amphylaeus, Hylaeus and Meroglossanests) Over 150 Australian species.

Blue Banded Bees females build nests in shallow burrows in the ground but they may also nest in mud brick houses or in soft mortar.

(Amegilla) 15 Australian species.

Teddy Bear Bees build shallow nest burrows in soft soil and sometimes nest underneath houses.

Amegilla (Asaropoda) About 25 Australian species.

Leaf Cutter Bees use the disks of leaf as a nest building material. They particularly like the soft leaves of roses, Bauhinia and Buddleja taking the pieces of leaf back to their nests which are in burrows in the ground or in a narrow crevice.

(Megachile) About 40 Australian species

Homalictus Bees dig intricate branching nests in the ground.

(Homalictus) Over 40 Australian species.

follow us @beetvlive

  • Instagram - Grey Circle


Contact us for personalised Retro Retreat Orders or to find out more about our Native Bee conservation project.

Bee TV's are available for display.

Currently delivery options are available please inquire.

Please note due to high demand current orders are approx 2 weeks to complete.

Thank you for your understanding.

Bee TV Live

Jimboomba, Queensland

For Bees Retro Retreats | Australian Native Bee Habitats

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page